You must upgrade your iPrescribe account to prescribe controlled substances electronically (EPCS). After, you must then confirm your EPCS upgrade.
This article assumes you have created your account in iPrescribe and successfully completed identity proofing through ID.me.
If you experience any difficulties creating your account please click to submit a ticket to the iPrescribe Support Team.
Before you begin, you will need the following information and resources:
- The mobile device you intend to use for e-prescribing
- Your NPI number
- Your DEA number
- First name, last name
- Email address (of a person to provide as reference to confirm your access to EPCS)
- Update DEA with your current mailing address
Upgrading My Account to EPCS
Step 1: Select the option to upgrade for e-prescribing controlled substance (EPCS)
Step 2: On the next screen, tap Continue to proceed.
- Tap Remind me later if you'd like to upgrade but aren't able to at the moment. We'll remind you later.
- Tap I don't want to prescribe controlled substances to opt-out of future prompts to upgrade your account. You can always revisit this later.
- If you leave the upgrade process and come back, iPrescribe will pick up where you left off.
EPCS upgrade (click to enlarge)
Step 3: Tap Go to the app store. You will be redirected to the ID.me Authenticator app on the app store page. Install the ID.me Authenticator app on your phone if you have not already done so.
- Go back and open your iPrescribe application, then tap Yes when prompted.
Installing ID.me (click to enlarge)
Step 4: Make sure your Mailing Address, City, State, and Zip are accurate; you may update the address to have the free code generating device (token) shipped to a different location. Tap the Get code generator button to continue.
We will send a physical code generating device (token) to the address provided. When you receive the token, you will need to add it to your iPrescribe account by following the instructions received with the fob.
- To prescribe controlled substances electronically, the DEA requires you to provide a unique code in addition to providing your password.
Step 5: Tap Invite reference, then enter their First Name, Last Name, and Email. Tap Continue to proceed.
- The DEA requires a reference to verify your identity before you can prescribe controlled substances. This is a one-time action and takes less than a minute for your reference to authorize you.
Inviting a reference (click to enlarge)
Step 6: Tap Open instructions and follow the on-screen instructions.
- You must click 'Open instructions in browser' to be able to click the 'Sign into ID.me' box.
- You will be taken into a web browser outside of the iPrescribe application. If you are on an iPhone, you can close the web browser by selecting the done button on the bottom left hand corner of the screen to come back to this page.
Step 7: Enter your NPI Number and DEA Number in the appropriate fields. Tap Continue when finished.
- If you have an institutional DEA, check the box labeled This is an institutional DEA number with suffix, then select a DEA Schedule (optional).
NPI and DEA (click to enlarge)
Step 8: You have completed your Medical verification. Tap Continue to proceed.
If your medical credentials were not verified, please use the on-screen prompts to start or schedule a call with ID.me. The most common cause is the nicknames or initials used on paperwork and not because your credentials are truly incorrect. ID.me will manually verify your credentials.
Completing medical verification (click to enlarge)
Step 9: Scroll down and tap Allow to send the on-screen information to iPrescribe.
- After your reference authorizes you, you will be prompted to confirm your EPCS upgrade on your next login.
- Get step-by-step instructions on how your reference can authorize you by visiting the following article: Authorize a Provider as a Reference.
Step1: You are almost there. Review the next steps and tap "Next"
Step 2: Validate your DEA address. If it is not current, you will need to update your profile with the DEA.
Step 3: Generate the mailer
Step 4: Give approximately 10 business days to receive your mailer
- Please note: If you requested a hard token to be sent to you, this will be sent separately from the mailer. Your token can be registered after the mailer steps and confirmation of your EPCS are completed. Please reference Manage Your EPCS Tokens in iPrescribe for details.
Step 5: Once you receive your mailer, log in to iPrescribe, tap the menu button in the top left corner, and select EPCS Upgrade. You may scan the QR code or enter the 7-digit code
- To scan the QR code, tap the "Scan QR code" button and give iPrescribe access to your camera, then align the view of the camera with the QR code on the mailer.
- To enter the code, tap the "Enter 7-digit code" button.
Step 6: Once successful, you will see the Success screen and tap "Next"
Confirming my EPCS Upgrade
Confirm your EPCS upgrade to finalize and finish the upgrade process after your reference authorizes you.
- After your reference authorizes you, you will be prompted to confirm your application's upgrade on your next login.
Step 1: Follow the steps in chronological order:
- (A) Enter your login Password.
- (B) Select the Code generator device from the drop-down menu (it will have the nickname you provided).
- (C) Enter the 6-digit security code from ID.me.
If your code fails, go back to the ID.me app and copy a new one. The 6-digit security codes are valid for 30 seconds and then resets as a new code.
- (D) Tap Activate.
Confirming your account upgrade (click to enlarge)
Step 2: You can now prescribe controlled substances!