This article provides a list of necessary prerequisites to complete your EPCS identity proofing.
Numbers 1-5 are required. The remaining prerequisites are recommended, optional, or only necessary under specific circumstances.
(1) Hard or Soft EPCS Token (recommended to have at least two tokens)
- Hard Token: A Keychain provided by DrFirst.
- Soft Token: VIP Access by Symantec can be downloaded on a mobile phone, tablet, or computer from https://vip.symantec.com/.
- When adding a Soft Token, you will be required to enter the Credential ID (formatted as SYMC XXXX XXXX). Visit How Do I Add an EPCS Token? for more information on adding EPCS tokens to your application.
(2) Social Security Number
(3) DEA Number & State
- Do not use a Narcotics Addiction DEA Number (NADEAN).
- Passphrases (created during enrollment) should be a minimum of 8 characters with at least one capital letter, one lowercase letter, and a number.
- Passphrases are necessary for the two-factor authentication step required for sending controlled substance prescriptions.
- We highly recommend writing down your passphrase on a physical piece of paper.
(5) Security Questions & Answers
- Security Questions & Answers are necessary if you want to reset your passphrase.
- Security Answers are case-sensitive.
- Make sure to write down your Security Questions & Answers exactly as entered.
- Example Security Question: "What is your mother's maiden name?"
(6) Valid Phone Number
- Valid Phone Numbers can be mobile or residential but must be associated with a home address.
- We highly recommend providing a mobile phone number because you will be asked to provide a transaction ID number sent instantly through SMS text messages. Alternatively, you can opt to receive a letter via USPS mail, which takes approximately 5-6 business days.
(7) First 8 Digits of a Personal Credit Card
- VISA or MasterCard
- No business cards or debit cards
If you have all the necessary prerequisites and would like to begin this process, proceed to the following article: How Do I Access My EPCS Invite?