This article provides a list of necessary prerequisites to complete your EPCS identity proofing.
Numbers 1-5 are required. The remaining prerequisites are strongly recommended, optional, or only necessary under specific circumstances.
(1) Hard or Soft EPCS Token (recommended to have at least two tokens)
- Hard Token: A Keychain token provided by DrFirst.
- Soft Token: VIP Access by Symantec can be downloaded on a mobile phone, tablet, or computer from https://vip.symantec.com/.
- When adding a Soft Token, you will be required to enter the Credential ID (formatted as SYMCXXXXXXXX). Visit How Do I Add an EPCS Token? for more information on adding EPCS tokens to your application.
(2) Social Security Number
(3) DEA Number & State
- DEA and State must be populated in your user profile.
- Do not use a Narcotics Addiction DEA Number (NADEAN).
- Passphrase (created during enrollment) should be a 8-20 characters with at least one capital letter, one lowercase letter, and a number.
- Passphrase is necessary for the two-factor authentication step required for sending controlled substance prescriptions. Two-factor authentication requires both a token and passphrase.
- We highly recommend selecting a passphrase you will remember, as it will be entered manually each time.
(5) Security Question & Answer
- Security Question & Answer are necessary if you want to reset your passphrase.
- Security Answers are case-sensitive.
- Make sure to write down your Security Question & Answer exactly as entered.
- Example Security Question: "What is your mother's maiden name?"
(6) Valid Phone Number
- Valid Phone Numbers can be mobile or residential but must be associated with a home address.
- *It is highly recommend to provide a mobile phone number because after completing Identity Proofing, you must provide a Transaction Code to complete enrollment. The Transaction Code may be sent instantly through SMS text messages if a mobile phone number is provided. Alternatively, you can opt to receive the Transaction Code by letter via USPS mail, which takes approximately 5-6 business days.
(7) First 8 Digits of a Personal Credit Card (optional and not recommended in most cases, but may be required)
- VISA or MasterCard
- No business cards or debit cards
If you have all the necessary prerequisites and would like to begin this process, proceed to the following article: How Do I Access My EPCS Registration Invite?