This article will provide resources to help you onboarded with EPCS Registration. They are also accessible from the EPCS Gold login Need Help? link.
Overview of Electronic Prescribing of Controlled Substances (EPCS) Registration
To e-prescribe controlled substances, providers must first register for the electronic prescribing of controlled substances (EPCS). EPCS registration involves these main steps for providers:
- Receive a registration invitation via email containing a link and unique code (invite ID). An administrator usually generates these emails.
- Complete identity proofing with Experian by answering credit related questions and personally identifiable information.
- Tip: Provide a personal mobile number during this process to get a unique code via text instead of waiting 5-7 business days for the unique code via mail.
- Called an Experian Transaction Number (ETN), this unique code is required to continue EPCS registration.
- Associate two-factor authentication to your account. The DEA requires two-factor authentication to prescribe controlled substances. Two forms of identification consist of:
- A unique password (passphrase)
- A token device that generates a different One-Time-Pin (OTP) each time you use the token. It is recommended that providers have both types of tokens available:
- Hard token device that gets mailed to the address on file with DEA.
- Soft token app (VIP Access by Symantec) that can be downloaded to your device by going to https://vip.symantec.com/ or finding VIP Access on the app store. Note: DEA requires that the soft token be on a different device from the device you use to prescribe controlled substances.
- Have an administrator complete Logical Access Control (LAC) to authorize (activate) the provider to e-prescribe controlled substances.
- What Do I Need To Complete EPCS Identity Proofing (IDP)?
- How Do I Access My Registration Invite?
- Helpful Tips to Complete EPCS Identity Proofing (IDP)
- Complete Your Identity Proofing (IDP)
- Input Your Experian Transaction Number
- Why Am I Failing Identity Proofing?
- Complete Logical Access Control (LAC)
- Auditable Event Alert Reports
- Send Controlled Substance Prescriptions
- Manage Your EPCS Tokens
- Reset Your Passphrase
- Did You Get a New Phone?
- EPCS: Reset my Passphrase After Logging into EPCS Console
Can't find what you're looking for?
Search our EPCS knowledge base here.