This article will provide resources to help you onboarded with EPCS Registration.
Overview of Electronic Prescribing of Controlled Substances (EPCS) Registration
To e-prescribe controlled substances, providers must first register for the electronic prescribing of controlled substances (EPCS). EPCS registration involves these main steps for providers:
- Receive a registration invitation via email containing a link and unique code (invite ID). An administrator usually generates these emails.
- Complete identity proofing with Experian by answering credit related questions and personally identifiable information.
- Tip: Provide a personal mobile number during this process to get a unique code via text instead of waiting 5-7 business days for the unique code via mail.
- Called an Experian Transaction Number (ETN), this unique code is required to continue EPCS registration.
- Associate two-factor authentication to your account. The DEA requires two-factor authentication to prescribe controlled substances. Two forms of identification consist of:
- A unique password (passphrase)
- A token device that generates a different One-Time-Pin (OTP) each time you use the token. It is recommended that providers have both types of tokens available:
- Hard token device that gets mailed to the address on file with DEA.
- Soft token app (VIP Access by Symantec) that can be downloaded to your device by going to https://vip.symantec.com/ or finding VIP Access on the app store. Note: DEA requires that the soft token be on a different device from the device you use to prescribe controlled substances.
- Have an administrator complete Logical Access Control (LAC) to authorize (activate) the provider to e-prescribe controlled substances.
- What Do I Need To Complete EPCS Identity Proofing (IDP)?
- How Do I Access My Registration Invite?
- Helpful Tips to Complete EPCS Identity Proofing (IDP)
- Complete Your Identity Proofing (IDP)
- Input Your Experian Transaction Number
- Why Am I Failing Identity Proofing?
- Complete Logical Access Control (LAC)
- Auditable Event Alert Reports
- Send Controlled Substance Prescriptions
- Manage Your EPCS Tokens
- Reset Your Passphrase
- Did You Get a New Phone?
- EPCS: Reset my Passphrase After Logging into EPCS Console
Can't find what you're looking for?
Search our EPCS knowledge base here.