You can split a prescription between two pharmacies from the Prescribe Medication widget. You can access this widget from the Patient Summary page or when you are creating a prescription manually.
Doing so will send a prescription for the same medication, with the same directions to the patient, but to two different pharmacies.
- The Prescribe Medication widget is where you can access and modify prescription details.
This is useful if a patient is away from home and needs to sort out their medication right away, but it would be cheaper to receive the bulk of the prescription through a mail-order pharmacy.
To split a prescription between two pharmacies, follow the steps outlined below:
Step 1: Access the Prescribe Medication widget for the prescription you wish to split for the patient.
- You can access the widget from the Patient Summary page or when creating a prescription manually.
Step 2: Click the + Split button to the right of the Pharmacy dropdown menu.
- You can click the + Split button any time to cancel.
Patient Summary page (click to enlarge)
Step 3: You will see that 2 new sections appear on the screen. Enter the information required for both sections.
- Pharmacy 2: a new dropdown menu that allows you to select the second pharmacy.
- For Pharmacy #2: a new set of fields that provides directions to the second pharmacy.
Prescribe Medication widget (click to enlarge)
Step 4: When you are ready to move forward, click the Review button at the bottom of the page.